Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Help For Hurricane Victims


Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the past week or so, you know that an abundance of water and a lack of supplies has plagued the Gulf Coast following hurricane Katrina. The states of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana resemble Bagdhad or the tsunami-torn Pacific, according to some media reports. I don't have any family in those states anymore, but I am just heartbroken at the conditions that these people have been reduced to. I couldn't imagine being too poor to leave the path of a hurricane, and then having to survive the aftermath. People are walking through waters up to their chest, swimming through sewage, dead bodies and other hazardous conditions, getting nowhere fast.

Hopefully, many of the entertainers that hail from this area are donating what they can to help these people in despair. I know that we in the Pink Ghetto (blue ghetto, or the plain ol' ghetto) don't have much...but it doesn't take much to help. Below are some web sites and phone numbers you can call to donate something...at least $10 to help these people out. Not only are they facing immediate health and safety problems, but the economic and social fallouts from this could take years of repair.

I am donating $20, and I challenge those who read this to do the same...but I want everybody to do something. Forgo a couple drinks this weekend and send that money to people that could use it the most.

Thanks, and please keep me updated on how much and to whom you donated.

How to help

Most charities are requesting financial donations rather than goods or clothing. This enables them to use the funds within the communities that are most affected. How to get information:

• American Red Cross (www.redcross.org); 1-800-435-7669 (1-800-HELP-NOW)

• America’s Second Harvest (www.secondharvest.org) for hunger relief; 1-800-344-8070

• Catholic Charities (www.catholiccharitiesusa.org); 1-800-919-9338

• Church World Services (www.churchworldservice.org); 1-800-297-1516

• Network for Good (www.networkforgood.org) provides easy access for donations to a number of charities, including the Humane Society of America (for pets) and various chapters of the United Way in Florida and Louisiana

• Salvation Army (www.1800 salarmy.org); 1-800-725-2769 (1-800-SALARMY)

Sources: Dispatch, Knight Ridder Newspapers

9 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger DM said...

I gave $20 to the Red Cross (by the way, the minimum was $5) over the internet.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Funky D said...

I gave $25 to America's Second Harvest, because that was their lowest pre-designated amount, and since I was already OK with $20, what's another $5?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Byebye said...

Good work with the relief awareness posts. I been tryin to encourage the same thing. I will probably send a little off of each check for a while. And mad prayers of course. Your post on the VMAs was on point. So you are affiliated with allhiphop...so am I...I went to uva with the lead editor of the reviews section...I have done a few reviews since 01..its a first to run across someone else with the same affiliation...nice to meet ya

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

im so glad u decided 2 post this.. we have a donation coming soon @ national city

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rolling Stones band member Bill Wyman married a 19 year-old model Mandy Smith in 1988. At the same time Wyman's son was engaged to Mandy Smith's mother. If his son had married Smith's mother, Wyman would have been the step grandfather to his own wife.

Cheers from Australia!
homeowners insurance and dog breed

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Web blogs used to communicate during hurricane
With spotty phone service and little power, people in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast are turning to Web blogs to communicate and access information during Hurricane Katrina.
Great Blog! If you have time see my ##moneymaking opportunities## related site. enjoy! It pretty much covers ##moneymaking opportunities## related stuff

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the great things about the Internet is that it gives everybody the opportunity to introduce themselves.

If you, as the Blog owner, have no objections I would like to introduce myself to your readers.

My name is Robert Shields and at the age of 69 years, I have been retired from full time work for four years.

I was, and still think of myself as, a Hypnotherapist. I trained literally hundreds of Hypnotherapists through my College before retirement and decided to go that one step further before I 'popped my glogs' (expired:).

So in order to help as many people as possible, I put what used to be my live course into an e-book to train others like my self.

The spin off to all this is that those whom I have trained number more than 1600 and about half of them are now in practice. This means that I am reaching thousands more people through them and hopefully, they are receiving the help they need.

I tell you all this because anyone can do what I have done. When you retire you take with you a wealth of knowledge that could, and should, be shared with others.

This is how mankind progresses.

If you would like to see what I mean, pop over to my web site at:

http://www.dreams2reality.co.uk

You may get inspired and just like me, your retirement will be a happy one.

 
At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home