Monday, September 26, 2005

The Black Movie Library


I must admit: I'm not much of a movie head. I'm a child of the 80s with a short attention span, and a need for instant gratification. So it's hard for me to sit for two hours or more and commit myself to something. But my boy Rich Jones thinks it will be good to have a place where Negroes and Negro-lovers can go to view cinema geared toward black culture, society and imagination. So of course, I wanted to be down! Here is Rich's top five entries in the Black Movie Library:

1. Do The Right Thing
2. Love Jones
3. Friday
4. Boyz in The Hood
5. Juice

"So these arent the best movies ever, but you could never go wrong having these in your
collection," says Rich.

I think that Spike Lee should be the first for a lifetime achievement award, personally. John Singleton has also made some good movies too. Here is my top 5.

1. Malcolm X
2. Boomerang
3. Breakin (can I get away with having 1 and 2?)
4. Bebe's Kids
5. Mo Betta Blues

I like a good mix of comedy and seriousness, if you couldn't tell. So what I need the viewing audience to do is let me know what your favorite Black movies are. White people and other nationalities, you can participate too! We're going to compile your votes, and then you can sign up at Unrested Entertainment's website for their newletter or check back here for the results.

10 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Funky D said...

Ummm, how bout:

1. Friday
2. Juice
3. Black Mama White Mama
4. Boyz N the Hood
5. Baaaaddaasssss!!!!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Anacaona said...

I totally agree with Rich Jones'list. I loved each of those movies in their own special way!

Next I loved:

Scary Movie I & II
Friday II & III
Brown Sugar

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i will come back on here soon with some black movies that SHOULD be included. Juice? C'mon now.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Funky D said...

Yes, Juice (except for the last 30 seconds or so). I mean, I'm white, so do you expect me to have good taste in black movies?

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger DM said...

Like Mike said...it don't matter if you're black or white. You have a good eye for urbanness (plus you picked Badasssss! and I'm sure no black person would have picked that...that movie is hot!)

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

mine are...
1. set it off
2. boyz n the hood
3. the wood (i LOVE that movie)
4. the color purple (u told harpo 2 BEAT ME)
5. new jack city

& my favorite movie of all time is
NEVER DIE ALONE
& the way belly was shot is incredible

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Genesis said...

this is in no particular order

eve's bayou
friday
boyz n da hood
soul food
fresh (that was good. i dont give a damn what nobody say.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Genesis said...

i 4got

set it off is classic too. thats that crack right along with juice and schoool daze. i think i just liked school daze for the singing and the dancing. it had a good message, but the only season i remember by heart is tichina, jasmine, tisha, and the other girl singing "i dont want to be alone tonight". that shit was goooood. i loved that movie.

oh yeah and crooklyn was good.

tweeeeety oh tweeeeety where are you?

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! u.s patents Adult anime trailers clips 1987 camaro convertible specs beauty teen models shoshana swimwear Seaattle culinary schools Ramsey chrysler jeep Pictures of a lamborghini gallardo article of incorporation kentucky Incorporate in dc teen and mature lesbians Custom car seat cover car cash loan title jackets of world war 1 Legal forms anderson publishing co. hottest butts Jairus' daughter rose from the dead little tight ass California house insurance concerta 18

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home