Thursday, September 22, 2005

Niggas With Attitudes


Since I’m no longer reeling from the uneventful events I attended in Chicago, I guess it’s time for me to dish. Niggas and their attitudes was the highlight of the weekend, as Black Press Awards’ organizers were clueless, and my boy Dan and me spent the majority of the time not choking the shit out each other…(we still peoples, check out his new blog, Condom Rappers). If it wasn't niggas with bad attitudes (except for all of the nice and helpful people of Chicago), it was niggas with the wrong attitude (like BPA organizers telling me they had no idea what was going on).

So arriving in Chicago, I was confident and excited about learning more about writing. However the black people running the event changed the venue the day before and didn’t give any notice. So the workshops that were supposed to be held at the ultra-plush Congress Plaza Hotel, were moved to an undisclosed location on Martin Luther King Ave. According to the Chicago Defender, the Black Press Association should have been well aware of a strike at the hotel…shit, I seen the picketers when I walked up. So feeling the pressure from the unions and major publications backing out of the event, your people changed the venue. Which is sad because, in the end it will come down to the race of the folks who phucked up, not the situation. After running around Chicago’s downtown and MLK street, Dan and I decided to chalk that event up and kick it in the Second City.

Well, if kicking it means riding around for hours on the L train, than we were some soccer players. We looked for Clark Street, clubs, bars, any place with liquid refreshments and turned up empty handed. After hoofing it for about two hours, I was so mad and frustrated that Dan and I didn’t talk until the next day…in Columbus. Damn, Chicago chewed us up and spit our asses right back into little Columbus. So now I am forcing myself come up with some lesson about this trip, some crumb of wisdom that will make the money spent (that I may not get back) worthwhile.

Pros of my Chicago trip:

I saw the rainforest showerhead, it was awesome.

I didn’t die on the L train, even though it was the same train and stop that I was on about 12 hours previously.

I had Hooters for the first time.

I probably lost 29 pounds walking around that muthaphucka.

I got all of the newspapers, and seen that all the cultural activity is enough to make me go back repeatedly…I can’t wait.

Dan asked me to ride with him to Virginia in December...he must be a glutton for punishment.

Cons of my Chicago trip:

I didn’t get to see Harpo Studios

…or the Magnificent Mile

…or the House of Blues

…or the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times

…or anything cool or pretty…

…and if I did, the batteries in my camera were low.

I spent six hours in a car with my most favorite person to talk to, not talking.

I leaned that I write better than I talk(not good for a communications person).

I have to wait for the unorganized folks at the Historical Black Press Association to give me my money back.

5 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

damn homie!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Midlife Crisis said...

I love Chicago. And that's saying alot coming from a New Yorker--because we think we are the shit. Oh, that's right, we ARE!!! Ha!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Urban Author said...

It wasn't all bad.... Remember the red building?

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger TheOneandOnlyInsanely said...

HaHa, the red building........
So I see you made your way to the Windy, hope you enjoyed my city.

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home