Monday, October 24, 2005

Weekend Recap (Part 1)

Last night just ended about three hours ago, thanks to photographer Naton for having an all night Oprah session with me! It would have been nice to have some photos, but my batteries died in my camera, so you’ll just have to take my word for it! Sunday night, the crew ended up at Zola, a spot that hosted Esoteric Movements by In8.

The atmosphere: Interesting artwork designed to spark conversation. Lots of places to sit with your group, yet be able to talk to others. The bar looked pleasing, and the bartenders made good beverages (part of the reason I just got to work). Food was provided to spark up more drink orders. I didn’t eat any, but my peeps seemed to enjoy the pizza, wings and other mouth poppers.

The people: Some of the people seemed a little out of their comfort zone, having to socialize instead of shake their asses all night. I met some really cool people…thanks to Rafe Lewis for the career advice (yes, I talk about my writing woes to everyone I meet!). Also, it was nice seeing Snap & Taps owner Todd Tuney out kickin’ it. He says that last night was the first of many times he’s kickin’ it, so he knows I want to see him more. It was nice seeing my music doctor Tracey out after the Dave Chappelle show. Jackie Stepherson of FreedomSuite was out rockin’ her hot afro …and of course the crew of course helped set the tone for the evening. After the awkwardness of everybody came in and seen it wasn’t an exclusively black event (which is okay, Columbus) everyone loosened up, started dancing and had a ball.

The music: DJ Blek started out with some nu-soul fare, and everybody got real cozy with the Dwele, John Legend and old school cuts. I also liked the pretty boy set he did featuring Mario, Omarion and Usher…I almost slicked down my baby hair and started poppin’ and lockin’! But then, he pulled out some house music that had DJ BHB scratching his head, it was so old school. For those who like house, and can house, you would have been in heaven. Blek told me it was cool for those who don’t know how to do all that elaborate shit to just two-step, so I was okay. A second deejay started doing his thing on the other side of the venue, DJ Mick Boogie, and all the dancers started doing their thing. He played everything from the Ying Yang Twins to INXS to Michael Jackson to the Pussycat Dolls. So the dancing went from playful to serious, but it was all good in the end.

The final verdict: The Esoteric Movements on Sunday at Zola is definitely the place to be on Sunday nights. The admission is kind of high ($10, even before 11 p.m.), but the drinks were so cheap ($2 beers, $4 martinis) it was kind of worth it. Plus, the crowd and the atmosphere was a great mix of professionals and partygoers (or both, if you’re somebody like me). Hope to see you there next week!

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna!

This sounds cool; I'm off next Monday, so maybe I'll check it out on Sunday. I'm always down for a good hang, especially with good people -- of all nationalities. I haven't seen Todd Tuney in a minute, so I'd love to catch up with him too.

Glad to see you're back to feelin' dark & lovely.

Anita

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger DM said...

Thanks Anita! You know if Todd is out, the party is hot! Hope to see you next week...

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger The Urban Author said...

TODD!!! I ain't know his name was spelt with two "D"s.
Aye, how in the hell do you remember all the specifics from a night like last night? You musta had like two drinks. I gets fffffffftwisted when I's goes out and I end up with a memory full of nothing.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger DM said...

I had my fair share of drinks last night, buddy. Some bartender probably had enough for that down payment on her home because of my lush-ous ass...but I'm a journalist and I remember details, did you forget?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home