Monday, November 07, 2005

Best of Columbus (Part 1)


It's the time of the year where all of your hard work and kickin' it must be recorded and analyzed. You know, when everybody brings out a list of "best" this and "best" that. Well, Rich Jones of Unrested Entertainment and me, Donna, thought that urban, progessive Columbus should have one of those lists too. So we hid away in our respected bat caves and came up with some categories that describe the best and the worst in the city.

The rules

Each day this week, we will be giving you questions on the best people, places, food and things in the city, and all you do is submit your vote in my comments and your done. Vote as many times as you want, I don't care. Nobody's getting any awards or money from this...I just think it's fun.

So why should you take time out of your day to vote in a contest where nobody gets anything? Well as we know with hip hop, having street cred is always better than critical acclaim. So look at this like being heralded the People's Champ (minus the golds). Nobody's excluded, everyone's included. Make sure you sign up at http://www.unrested.net/ to stay posted on the contest results!

You have until Friday, November 25 to vote and on Monday, November 28 your votes will be tabulated and winners will be announced.

Make sure you tell your friends, family and visitors of Columbus to come to the Pink Ghetto and vote...the more votes, the harder my job gets (and, you know I always need to work a little harder). To make it a little easy for me, just copy and paste the category names into the comment box and submit your selections next to it (thanks in advance).

Best People

There is lots of talented, hardworking folks in Columbus trying to make it big and get out of here:) I mean, make it big so that Columbus is on the map. We're not here to talk about the people we hate...but to shout out the people that make weekends a little more savvy with their talent. Make your selection for the best in the following categories:

Best local rapper
Best local poet
Best local singer
Best local group
Best deejay
Best up and coming performer
Best Columbus performer that has gone national

7 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Haayyyayyy! Wow, I get to go first?

Well, let me start by saying that I think this is a great idea. Kudos Donna and Rich! We need to have a list of "bests" for the urban set. Can we maybe add restaurants/clubs/places to hang, etc. next time?

OK, here we go...

Best Local
Rapper - See my comment about up and coming performer below. I prefer Hip Hop artists (yes, I am a purist). I hear that Blueprint is the MF. And the real deal.
Poet - Ed Mabrey. Nuff Said.
Singer - Debra Tucker. She opens her mouth and heaven comes out.
*runner up - Middle Child. Looove her! She is going to blow UP!
Group - The Jimmy McGee Band. Can play everything from Otis to Prince to Marley to Dylan. This is what real, live music and musicianship is all about.
Dee Jay - Krate Digga is my ...!
(ya'll feel me.)
Up and Coming Performer - I still have some folks to check out before I can put this one down.
CO Native Gone National - The only one I can think of right now is Bow Wow -- and he ain't it.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My turn......Best Rapper.....Iam too old, dont know.
Ed M best poet.... Best Singer.... Talisha (of course )
Best group... I am pissed it"s not mine so I wont play....
Deejay..... Too old dont know...Up and coming performer
Miesha Cannaday. I am sorry brothers and sisters but it's
Dwight Yokum

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hesitated to do this because it was really hard to decide (on some I didn't even bother), but here it goes... kudos to Anita for breaking the ice...

Best local rapper Lou Sleif?
Best local poet Ed Mabrey
Best local singer Tia Stuart?, Velour? I love Jimmy McGee's voice
Best local group Can't think of any right now
Best deejay There are a few...
Best up and coming performer DJ ?
Best Columbus performer that has gone national Foley and does Nancy Wilson Count? Can I name some Dayton people?
Best dancer BHB, Lawrence Lemon or Rasheen Davis

...that wasn't so bad...

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEST OF...
Rapper - hmm... in Columbus?
Poet - Mr. Ed
Singer - Talisha Holmes
Dancer - Lawrence(modern/jazz & stuff), Najjiyah(African), BHB(breakin)
Group - SPIRIT (not that active but can't be touched on stage)
DJ - Krate
Up and coming - I'll get back
Gone National - Nancy Wilson definetly (did somebody say Bow Wow? Cut the jokes!)

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Rapper: Not sure
Best Dancer: Lawrence Lemon
Best DJ: Stan " The Brooklyn Butcher"
Best Group: Jimmy McGee Band
Poet: Ed Mabrey
Up and Coming: Cyrus Baty
Singer: Not sure
CO Native Gone National: Nancy Wilson

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Local Rapper: Too old; I don't know. Best Poet: Can't remember her name; she performed @ Snaps & Taps a few years ago, w/her husband. They were newlyweds. Anybody out there know who I'm talkin' about? Best Local Singer: Nancy Wilson. Best Local Group: Afro-Rican Ensemble! Best DJ: KRATE DIGGA! Best Up and Coming Perfomer: Don't know. Best Native Gone Nat'l: Nancy Wilson.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Local Rapper: SPIRIT
Best Poet:ED
Best DJ: O sharo
Singer - Talisha Holmes
Best Dancer:BHB
Group - SPIRIT
PS i loved tat lady as well .she is a really good Poet

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home