Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Catch Up!


I've been a busy bee lately, handling some PR work for The Urban Author, cutting some deals with my writing, working my 9 to 5 and trying to stay sane in the process. I have been getting so much love from some ghetto fabulous folks, and to all of them I say THANKS!

I've been talking a lot about events and happenings, and I was thinking that I haven't been telling you what's going on with me. Here are some highlights from the past week or so.

Went to see Get Rich or Die Tryin' at a preview showing last Monday. Hated it! Well, didn't hate it, just didn't see its cinematic relevance. Has my life been impacted in anyway by 50 Cent's rags to riches tale of violence and the crack game? No. Is he revealing anything about himself, or life in general that we don't already know? No. I don't even listen to 50's music (never heard any of his albums) and knew what the movie was about. I call this flick a drug dealer's Purple Rain...with no soul. I guess the dude has a hard time showing love: for the music, the his girly and for life. If you'd die for doe, once you get it what do you live for?

I've been bumping the new Essence of Soul CD by J.Rawls. I know, I've been talking up Rawls a lot, but this guy is really doing his thing. Standouts include Pleasure Before Pain by Eric Roberson, a classic Erro cut. I am just astonished by how multi-faceted he can be with words in five minutes or so. Middle Child is doing her thing on several cuts on the CD, including Soul (Again & Again), Inside of Me ( that my boy B. Craft says is some of the best production work he's ever heard from Rawls) and my favorite What If. The album ends on a Latino/R&B note with Bailar by Aloe Blacc. I haven't heard much about him, but the singing, rapping, Spanish, English thing is hot!

Other songs I'm feeling

Kyptonite by Big Boi and the Purple Ribbon All-Stars (I'm not into the whole Atlanta/Crunk thing...but this song have me on it all night and all day!)

Can I Have it Like That by Pharell feat. Gwen Stefani (This persistant thump to the beat is addictive)

Luxurious by Gwen Stefani (Any song that samples Between The Sheets gets a double take to me. Gwen does her thing and plays off the lushness of the beat with ultra posh lyrics)

The smartest thought I've had in a while

I don't want to be number two on anybody's list, and I don't want to be number one on a long ass list either.

Car payment vs. Eyebrows

I am fiscally irresponsible. My parents, however have excellent credit, platinum Visas, all the amenities you receive when you have restraint. And unfortunately, right now, a nigga has some decisions to make. So, I'm going to Cove owner Bobby Ferguson's birthday party on Saturday. And it's invite only, so don't yell at me if you can't get in. Well, I bought two fabulous dresses (I never wear dresses) because I don't know which one I want to wear. I figure one will be good for the party, one will be good for New Year's. I owe my parent's a car payment (I'm hood rich), but I need accesories, eyebrow waxing and a little money to guzzle with that evening. On top of the fact that I'm paying off mammoth doctor bills from my summer surgery. So what's a girl to do? Do I pay half the car payment and kick it a little, or pay it all and look dumpy at the party? Well, by my wording, you know what I'm going to do.

Make sure you vote in the Best Food and Best People in Columbus polls...next week we will be deciding the Best Places To Be. Ciao bella!

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Great post. I must admit that I like that "kryptonite" song as well..lol

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

can't you brush up the eyebrows yourself at home? i.e. tweeze between the lines, return the other dress and pay your parents half the money?
I don't know, I'm on a fiscal responsibility kick after I took another hard look at my student loans. I could have bought a small house with that money (a really small one but a house nonetheless).

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

i gotta pay my car payment 2! thanks 4 reminding me!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home