Monday, November 21, 2005

Living My Life Like It's Golden (Part 1)

"You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you’re sittin’ at the table
There’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done"
--The Gambler, Kenny Rogers

It's not New Year's but a nigga's been itching to make changes in her life. And despite the season, when it's time to be done, it's time to be done. So either I've grown up lots in the past couple months, or I'm just tired of playing young people's games (coming from a 24-year-old). Here's a list of things I want to stop doing:

  1. Crushing on boys. Because it's more for sport than actual reality. I like liking because I'm good at it. I'm good at cooking, massaging, being lovey dovey and showing off my good girlfriend qualities. Why do these things for somebody who wants to teeter-totter between commitment and being free? Just like men hate women who are too damn sassy and independent to need a man, women hate that shit too. If I don't feel needed or reciprocated, then I'm out. Get your independent ass out of here...
  2. Expecting. I am attached to nothing and open to everything.
  3. Not appreciating my writing. I whine, lots people. But I know I'm good at writing, I just don't appreciate it. So no more whining about writing. Whatever goals I don't accomplish, it's because of the work ethic, not my talent.
  4. Paying people to shape my eyebrows. Even though I treat my eyebrow shaper woman like the Queen of the Nile, this is an expense I could really chuck if I learned to do this myself. Now my girl Meghan and fellow blogger God's Child tell me I can save the doe and do it myself. But eyebrown shaping isn't exactly a trial and error skill I want to practice on my face, right now. Any pointers?
  5. Neglecting to workout. I have the time, space, opportunity, motive...all the factors. I'm just lazy. So tonight I'm going to workout before I wash my hair. See, I'm taking baby steps.
  6. Overeating for the holidays. I've learned a lot about my intestines this year (more than you want to know I'm sure). And I just can't do it...so for all of the rules I have and the things I'm supposed to eat and not supposed to eat, I'm following it this holiday season. Wish me luck!
  7. Neglecting the people in my life that get on my nerves. Now, because I'm not anonymous, I won't name who these people are. But if you are a relative or other kind of fam and you start getting regular calls from me, you know who you are.
  8. Stressing out. Last night I was at a birthday party (happy belated, Ray!) and while everybody was singing happy birthday, I was trying not to freak over the growing torch-like flame that was growing over the cake! When chocolate icing fell on the carpet, I freaked out more than the property owners. Damn, I need to relax.
  9. Living outside of my means. I saw something on TV yesterday that Americans save -1.1 percent of their money. I have no dire expenses (outside of lip gloss, shoes, shampoo and wine) so I need to start saving.

4 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

I just requested that book from the library. I could learn how to do those two things. I am never going to be one of those people who does their own eyebrows. Messed up eyebrows take too long to grow back. Uh uh. I am not playing with that at all.

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

so did u kick it w/me this weekend cuz i get on ur nerves? ;)

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger DM said...

No Dawn, you don't count!!! You can call me later and I'll explain.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

just jokin!
c u later 2nite or 2morrow!
lol

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home