Monday, January 23, 2006

All Is Fair in Love and Poker

I played poker last night for the first time. This game is the epitome of the saying “trust nobody but your mother…and then cut the deck.” Learning with people you trust is essential, as egos are bound to be crushed, pockets are guaranteed to be empty and the shit talker of the group is always somebody unexpected.

I was the worst player. I knew I was the worst player, because every time I did something right, everybody was overly happy. And when I folded or did something semi-right, everybody said, “that’s good!” I got lots of good cheer to keep my morale up.

I was way too nice to everybody. And when I was unsure, I let everybody know it. I had no poker face, I fell for intimidation and was always the first one with no money. To put it simply: I suck at poker.

But next week, I’m going to come into the game with some newfound confidence. Because regardless of how good or bad your hand is, confidence is what wins the game. Getting people to believe you, when you are lying is key. Body language, bets and bluffing, all must be paid attention to. And that’s basically what I do as a writer and a PR girl. So anybody with any tips on how to succeed at poker needs to get at me…just don’t tell the other people I play with!

Besides getting my poker hymen broke, I haven’t been doing much of anything else. I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet on Friday night. Of course, it is kind of old (new to me though) but my friend is watching it for a film class, and the story along with the production is excellent and though provoking. The movie reminded me a lot of one of my exes, how I came off as utterly loopy and her came off as the straight man.

It would just seem like a lot of responsibility to your friends and family to not have to mention someone you’ve had erased from your memory. It also seemed like a very traumatic process. I mean, what kind of dream do you think you’re having when you wake up after someone’s erased your memory?

Kirsten Dunst did a great job in the moive...I've finally been able to see her for more than the Bring It On girl (which is a favorite fo mine, too). However, I'll always seen Elijah Wood as Froto...sorry.

WTF: Kobe scores 81 points last night. I’m no sports nut or anything, but isn’t this a little unusual? Is Kobe on steroids…or Red Bull?

Hair: Check out Creamy Crack today for a profile on my girl Morgan!

Song For Today: Catching Feelings by Faith. I am a closet, die-hard Faith fan. I have all of her albums and know all of her songs.

7 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous belladawn said...

YES that is unusual 4 somebody 2 score 81 points! thats the 2nd highest behind wilt's 100 & higher than mj's 69. some TEAMS dont even score 81 points n an nba game.. lol, wtf, that reminds me of the dave chappelle sketch when he drank red balls & lifted the bus 4 a dime!

im gonna check out eternal sunshine, i've been wantin 2 c that 4 awhile

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

>>getting my poker hymen broke

ewww

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

Poker is about reading people and keeping your own reactions at a bare minimum. It's a fun game though.

Kobe was on fire last. Fire!

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

 
At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! film editing classes

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home