Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Lack of Focus and Other Things

So my flaws have just smacked me in my face. I messed up on this big project at work, right after the boss gave me all this new responsibility. This sucks. And just yesterday I had to look at myself for the slacker I am. I get by on my natural ability and don’t put much effort into a lot of things. So, since one of my goals for this year is to work harder, I guess now is a better time than any. I need to recruit an accountability partner to can get in my ass when I’m being lazy and cocky. I just think of how much farther I can be in my writing career if I was more focused.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I don’t have any money. I just got a raise at work, I have no kids or anything like. No real credit issues. No outstanding bills. But no money. And nothing really to show for it. I have a 70/30 budget, which is a modified version of the 60/40 budget. Basically, I try to use 70 percent of my money for essentials: rent, car, utilities, groceries and those types of expenses. I use 10 percent toward debt, 10 percent to save and 10 percent to kick it. Sounds good on paper, right? But every time, a week after payday, I’m looking at my dwindled bank account and can’t seem t find the leak. So in two weeks, I’m going to try again.

Did anybody see American Idol last night? What was up with that girl (I think her name was Michelle or Rochelle) who was “homeless” yet had a coalition of people with her name on their shirts? If those were her friends, they aren’t very good ones. Chick was rockin’ a fresh weave and some dope sunglasses, but her sob story was that she was evicted, moved in with her cousin and now they were getting evicted next week. There was so much wrong with that story. And why should we (as Idol voters) feel sorry for her, a competent, stylish young woman, who can’t a job? She could sing though, but I don’t buy that sob story.

I just peeped the new Black Eyed Peas video last night too. It’s a posse cut called Like That featuring Cee-lo, Q-Tip, Talib Kweli and John Legend. Yeah, it’s as hot as it sounds. Which means it is a really good song, because I don’t like BEP. However, it made me think a lot about hip hop excess. Is it really necessary to have Fergie, Cee-lo (who didn’t spit a verse) and John Legend on the hook? Rappers just don’t know the meaning of downsizing I guess.

Okay, so anyone who has seen the trailer for Sanaa Lathan’s new movie, Something New, should automatically think of me. My fascination with having a white boyfriend (well, having John Mayer) is finally playing out on film. Somebody needs to give me some pointers on where to land a musician/artsy type white boy. Some places to hang out in Columbus. You know, it’s for your entertainment too!

Mood: The weather here in Columbus is awesome…it is a beautiful, sunny day. Can’t wait to get outside and squeeze in a 30-minute walk.

Song For Today: When I Think of You, Janet Jackson. No I’m not in love…it’s just a good song.

9 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

Um, with the budget--have you tried writing down everything you spend--every thing, even 75cents in the vending machine? I mean you do have an active social life even if you get in places for free. And how much of your budget have you allocated for lip gloss? If it's important, maybe your budget should reflect it.

With the hard work--you and me both. I try to read motivational books. When they work, I work. When they don't I blog.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger DM said...

I haven't tried writing down everything that I spend. i have this arrogance that I keep pretty good count of what I spend (denial) but that is obviously something I should try. I'll start Monday (trust me, won't be spending any money till then).

One leak is definately my kick it money. Even though I haven't been going out a lot. I have been social.

And BTW, lip gloss is budgeted in to my essentials...but I ahven't bought any MAC in months! I've been relying on Loreal...

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Hey Mama! (like my BEP reference? Tho, I don't dig them either. Except that track and Bullsh*t. And who in the hell keeps comparin' them to the Fugees?)

Increasing your cash flow is the same as losing weight: to save money, you have to spend less than you keep; to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in. Same principal applies: create more of what you want and less of what you don't want. You have the power to do it. Pack lunches, go out less (you might get in free, but gas and drinks add up), do mani/pedis @ home, get your hair done less often, etc. These are all tried and true things that have really helped me. The little things really add up, as either savings or expenses - you choose. As a single mama, I'm savin' every dollar I can, 'cause Miss Isabella got needs. And is going to have them for a loooooooooooong time.

Now, on to the dating question. Girl, I love my brothas. Looove them. That said, I also love any man who is good to me, regardless of race or ethnicity (or lack thereof). I date good men. Period. And honey, I would love to get next to John Mayer too. Any man that writes lyrics like that has a beautiful soul and truly appreciates women. And talk about a cutie! Acutally, I have an extensive list of "cousins" I'd like to hang out with -- White, Latino, European, Asian, Middle Eastern -- they're all on it.

Good places to meet "cousins" include any place that draws a mixed crowd, especially those that have more of them than us. Short North galleries, shops, restaurants and events; CCAD; Museum of Art; Easton restaurants; Cultural Center, Barcelona, M.

The challenge with Columbus is that many of our "cousins" are about two steps off the farm and are not very urban or progressive in their thinking. More metropolitan cities (Chicago, NYC, LA) are loaded with progressive urbanites who looooove themselves some sistas.

However you find 'em, wherever you find 'em, enjoy your explorations.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Inside Man said...

That's a nice pic of Sanaa Lathan. Personally I think she deserves more recognition. She's classy, smart, and attractive.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

Yeah KG--I like the way she respresents everyday black people.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous belladawn said...

i didnt catch american idol, but it can be HARD 2 get a job in america w/the economy like this 4 some people..

i set up a Savings Investment Plan thru my job, that automatically takes $$ out 4 me. & i have auto withdrawals 2 my own savings account 2. u can gain interest, & it will b out of ur spending paws. see no money, spend no money? i had 2 cut down my AWFUL ebay habit, & i've saved like $250+ a month more than b4.. added up over time & alot of items, extra $$ paid 4 shipping is a b*tch!!! however, MAC is a good thing 2 buy on ebay. its cheaper even w/shipping.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home