Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Other People's P-Word

There is a word in the English language that my best friend Elaina hates. I don’t necessarily hate it, but in excess it’s like too many exclamation points on the end of a sentence. Too much salt in your popcorn. And sometimes, out of the wrong mouth and in the wrong situations, it’s just nasty. So what is this word? Like Treach says in OPP, it’s another way to call a cat a kitten. It’s pussy people.

So what’s wrong with pussy? I’m not really sure. Sometimes, in the right situation and the right context, the “p-word” is socially acceptable, erotic and efficient. Sometimes it is rude, awkward and demeaning. I went to Black Pearl Poetry last night, and the poets runneth over with their use of the word. Somebody had a poem including the “p-word” in the title. Somebody sang about it. Others just peppered their poems with the word, adding extra emphasis to the “p” sound. And something about last night’s usage made me a little uncomfortable.

Now, I am sort of highbrow when it comes to word usage, let me say that upfront. And I also don’t think that any words should be off limits, especially in artistic expression. There are several definitions for the “p-word”: female genitalia, a cowardice person and the most offensive, to describe a woman in general. Maybe it’s the idea that some people use the word to sum up a whole human being. The example would be calling workers “hands” or people devoted to something “heads” or men “dicks.” Like, when men say they are “p-word” whipped, it’s not just the sex that they are addicted to…it’s the woman.

So as art imitates life, what is the correct way to use this colloquial word? Am I just being too sensitive? Was anybody else feeling barraged by the “p-word” last night? Any poets/writers have any barometers to when this word is appropriate?

7 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous belladawn said...

what an interesting word... i mean hearing it over & over depending on the situation can b uncomfortable (i.e., grace jones is boomerang! lol ) but i guess the words u put around the word pussy is what can make u more uncomfortable than anything. like any other word, in the right context, i think its cool.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

Like everything in life the use of the p-word should be used in moderation. Too much and it becomes meaningless, or makes people uncomfortable. At least it's not the C-word. That one sets off every woman I know!

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me context is everything. But I think if someone is going to say it a lot, I'd rather it be a woman, 'cause then at least she has one too. And notice how I couldn't even really use the word just now.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger The Urban Author said...

Fuck the P-Word. Fuck the C-Word. The G-Word is what makes me feel like my mom just walked in the room naked. Just hearing the G-Word makes my dick shrivle up like a deflating balloon! I should write a poem about the G-Word. Maybe if I elagant it out, I won't be so scared of it.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed Mabrey here.
Tht night was some "horniness is in the air" type thing.
I tried to ay alot of it had t odo with the Mahogany Soul event. I had ALOT of people on that sex tip and alot of them made their way out ot the night. But oh well. On the flip side I am sure this week it will be a non factor. Things just have an ebb and flow that way.

Of course, when the Valentine's special poetry night hits, there will be alot of sex/dry humping poems trying to mask themselves as "love" and "erotica".
Now THAT will be a funny night.

Ed

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site video editing programs

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home