Friday, January 06, 2006

Overheard in the Club


Shout outs to my girl Dii, who is leaving on a jet plane...we don't know when she'll be back again (that's John Denver not Kanye, and actually she got skirty in a vehicle) but she is here in our hearts. Photos of the bash are coming.

I have been mentally compiling all of these questions and comments I've been getting or overhearing or what have you. So last night, at the Cove, I was choppin it up with the crew, and overheard some stuff people were saying about me. That made me want to address and/or clear up some misconceptions. I'm not Jay-Z and I'm not taking my jacket off. This is real lighthearted...I don't subscribe to internet beef.

Last night while walking to the Cove bathroom:

What does she do? She's always out?
Well, I know lots of people see me out, looking like America's Next Top Club Head. I go out lots to show support to hotspots and network with people in the nightlife. See, I used to be a reporter (ya'll know all that) and took a real liking to nightlife writing. So club owners, promoters and the like are my contacts. If and when I ever start writing locally again, then I'll probably do nightlife writing. Plus, with all the stories and support I lend to local cats, I can get in almost anywhere free...so why not!

But what I do: public relations, music writing.

While leaving the Cove at 3:30 in the a.m.:

She kicks it sooo hard and is always falling asleep when the club is over!
Yeah, well alcohol makes me sleepy. That is one of the side effects you know. I do kick it hard, I work hard and I like to enjoy myself. My friend Ray says that having fun is all we got in this crazy world, so why not indulge.

From my concerned friend Tracie in a text message this morning:

Did you make it home okay? You were passed out last night.
Yeah, I made it home okay. I always do. I am a champion, college proven drinker. Plus I'm higher on fun than liquor most of the time. Hanging with my crazy friends takes a lot of energy, you know. I never get sick, never pass out...this morning I was a little hungover. But I made it to work...early! Tracie is such a sweetheart! Don't worry, I'm good!

In a convo with a hot guy last night:

You are cool because girls like you...girls don't even hate on you and that's rare.
True. I work hard to cultivate and keep relationships with women because: 1) I am a womanist and a woman and am just more interested in womanly things. 2) Because it is a sterotype that all women (especially Black women) must be catty and shit, and that's for the birds. There is nothing worse than a catty, insecure girl or a girl with a penis (which means a girl who is overly aggressive). So I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow...I mean, I decided long ago to make sure to make friends and be friendly with chicks...I know we are all funny actin' at times, but it's cool, we are all still sisters!

BTW, men are way more funny acting than women, but we'll talk about that later.

In a convo with a different, but equally hot guy:

You are such a flirt. I think 30 percent of the time I'm with you, you are trying to have sex with me.
Ha! Well, I am a flirt. I'm in public relations, and the public likes friendly, flirty girls. I make men feel comfortable...make eye contact, touch them slightly, fully engaged in convo. That's just politeness, I think. The 'want-to-have-sex' flirting is a totally different animal, trust me.

In an email from someone I won't name (but they know who they are):

Your 10 step breakup plan doesn't work. I know you don't follow it because I seen you with dude.
Woah, Kemo Sabe! The 10 step plan does work. It is kid tested, mother approved. Plus, even if I have been seen with dude, that doesn't mean there's any emotional attachment issues. Getting over him isn't the same as being a crack addict...I can see him and not want to light up, you know.

In a comment by God's Child from my Best of 2005 Entertainment post:

Um excuse me, that song "One Thing" was hot and original and she did a lot of the marketing her damn self. Why does she have to be a ripoff of Beyonce? Amerie has talent AND brains. Shucks.
Amerie may have brains and talent, but she's not that great of an entertainer. And One Thing is more Crazy in Love than Tom Cruise...listen to the two songs and say it's not (they were both produced by the same person, btw). I like Amerie...her first CD was awesome...but she is lacking that 'it' factor and since she is in the same arena as Bee, I must compare. But I like chick...(this is coming from someone with a girl crush on Beyonce).

In a comment from Panama from my most hated XMas songs post:

...did you just outwardly diss Donnie Hathaway's original Christmas classic "This Christmas"??? That song is great. Donnie didn't put his name on any garbage. *throwing rocks at you*
Yeah, Panama I did. I think this song is perfectly innapropriate for XMas. BTW, why don't people make Valentine's Day songs. All of those holiday sex song would fit in great there.

Where I'll be this weekend: Watching the Family Guy movie tonight, hopefully checking out the artwork of Woodrow Nash at the King Arts Center, Gallery Hopping or African dancing with PTosh tommorrow (I'm on my Kanye West work out plan).

Song For Today: Breathe (2 am) by Anna Nalick

8 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Hey Chick!

Sorry I missed your bash last night. I'm sure it was lovely. Go 'head wit 'cho badass self!

Peace be still?...Peace be lovely!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

oh please, Beyonce is her daddy's mass-marketed product and she can't even act.

Okay but I admit that since you said it, the two songs are inextricably linked in my mind. But I will fight to death. Amerie is better. Her label is sleeping on her and she don't have daddy Knowles in her corner.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger BBB_0202020 said...

Awww Naw!!!!I can't stand by and let my girl Beyonce get dogged. I like Amerie and everything but let's face it she is straight copying Bee. When she first came out she was just walking around singing in a park (why don't we just fall in love) and club (talking to me). But 2005 she got the Beyonce fan for her hair and does choreography while she is gyrating like a gypsy, that sounds like Bee to me.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

man i was thinkin that amerie is doing the best beyonce rendition i've ever seen it. it doesnt suck, but it is a beyonce rendition.

im glad u put it out there so that nobody gets the wrong idea about u. i know the type of person u r, & u couldnt have been more accurate describing urself. great post

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger The Urban Author said...

Who's Amerie?

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dis is tone, as a songwriter/singer I look at it like dis. if the same producers and writers are doing your stuff and someone elses is more outthere than you you will allways look and sound like them. write you own shit or call me. dont be know ones shadow.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home