Tuesday, February 07, 2006

2006 Grammy Predictions


Now, you may read lists of who “will win” and who “should win” but this list isn’t like that. If I had a vote, this is how I would vote. Plain and simple. Make sure you check out the Grammy’s tomorrow night. I’ll be commentating as if I were there, so stay posted. Let’s do it!

R&B Nominees

BEST FEMALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

"1 Thing," Amerie"
Wishing On A Star," Beyoncé
"We Belong Together," Mariah Carey
"Free Yourself," Fantasia
"Unbreakable," Alicia Keys

My Pick: Free Yourself, Fantasia
I haven’t heard a song like this in years. Pure R&B.

BEST MALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE
"Creepin'," Jamie Foxx
"Ordinary People," John Legend
"Let Me Love You," Mario
"Superstar," Usher
"So What The Fuss," Stevie Wonder

My Pick:
Ordinary People, John Legend
Even though I love Mario, Ordinary People is a song people will be singing forever.

BEST R&B PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS
"So Amazing," Beyoncé & Stevie Wonder
"Cater 2 U," Destiny's Child
"If This World Were Mine," Alicia Keys Featuring Jermaine Paul
"So High," John Legend Featuring Lauryn Hill
"How Will I Know," Stevie Wonder Featuring Aisha Morris

My Pick: Aye Yi Yi…I’ll pick Stevie Wonder for his song with his daughter.

BEST TRADITIONAL R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE
"Mine Again," Mariah Carey
"Summertime," Fantasia
"A House Is Not A Home," Aretha Franklin
"If I Was Your Woman," Alicia Keys
"Stay With You," John Legend

My Pick: Alicia’s version of the Gladys Knight song is the best.

BEST URBAN/ALTERNATIVE PERFORMANCE
"SupaStar," Floetry
"Dirty Harry," Gorillaz
"Dust," Van Hunt
"Welcome To Jamrock," Damian Marley
"Ghetto Rock," Mos Def

My Pick: Even though I want to give Ohio love to Van Hunt, Welcome to Jamrock is the best song.

BEST R&B SONG
"Cater 2 U”
"Free Yourself"
"Ordinary People"
"Unbreakable"
"We Belong Together"

My Pick: Ordinary People

BEST R&B ALBUM
"Illumination," Earth, Wind And Fire
"Free Yourself," Fantasia
"Unplugged," Alicia Keys
"Get Lifted," John Legend
"A Time To Love," Stevie Wonder

My Pick: I’ve hard all of these albums, and the best one is Illuminations, Earth, Wind and Fire.

BEST CONTEMPORARY R&B ALBUM
"Touch," Amerie
"The Emancipation Of Mimi," Mariah Carey
"Destiny Fulfilled," Destiny's Child
"Turning Point," Mario
"O," Omarion

My Pick: I’ve heard all of these albums too…and none of them really stand out as best of the year. But since I changed my pick at the last minute to Mariah...

Rap Nominees

BEST RAP SOLO PERFORMANCE
"Testify," Common
"Mockingbird," Eminem
"Disco Inferno," 50 Cent
"Number One Spot," Ludacris
"U Don't Know Me," T.I.
"Gold Digger," Kanye West

My Pick: This is actually a good sampling (minus 50 Cent)…the best song is Testify by Common.

BEST RAP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP
"Don't Phunk With My Heart," The Black Eyed Peas
"The Corner," Common Featuring The Last Poets
"Encore," Eminem Featuring Dr. Dre & 50 Cent
"Hate It Or Love It," The Game Featuring 50 Cent
"Wait (The Whisper Song)," Ying Yang Twins

My Pick: This is a toss up between The Game and Common…and I’ll pick Common only because he does something different than anybody else in the category. So do the Ying Yang Twins, but we’re not going to discuss that.

BEST RAP/SUNG COLLABORATION
"1,2 Step," Ciara Featuring Missy Elliott
"They Say," Common Featuring Kanye West & John Legend
"Soldier," Destiny's Child Featuring T.I. & Lil Wayne
"Numb/Encore," Jay-Z Featuring Linkin Park
"Rich Girl," Gwen Stefani Featuring Eve

My Pick: 1,2 Step by Ciara
Because it is classic, danceable Hip Hop

BEST RAP SONG
"Candy Shop"
"Diamonds From Sierra Leone"
"Don't Phunk With My Heart”
"Hate It Or Love It"
"Lose Control"

My Pick: Hate it Or Love It, The Game

BEST RAP ALBUM
"Be," Common
"The Cookbook," Missy Elliott
"Encore," Eminem
"The Massacre," 50 Cent
"Late Registration," Kanye West

My Pick: Late Registration

The Biggies

RECORD OF THE YEAR
"We Belong Together," Mariah Carey
"Feel Good Inc.," Gorillaz Featuring De La Soul
"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," Green Day
"Hollaback Girl," Gwen Stefani
"Gold Digger," Kanye West

My Pick: If I really think about what was the song of 2005, I would probably say Hollaback Girl or Golddigger…the better song would be Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
"The Emancipation Of Mimi," Mariah Carey
"Chaos And Creation In The Backyard," Paul McCartney
"Love. Angel. Music. Baby.," Gwen Stefani
"How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," U2
"Late Registration," Kanye West

My Pick: Late Registration all the way on this one. It has been the most discussed, talked about and inventive on this list.

SONG OF THE YEAR
"Bless The Broken Road" (Rascal Flatts)
"Devils & Dust" (Bruce Springsteen)
"Ordinary People" (John Legend) (U2)
"We Belong Together" (Mariah Carey)

My Pick: I don’t want to give this to Mariah, but I am.

BEST NEW ARTIST
Ciara
Fall Out Boy
Keane
John Legend
SugarLand

My Pick: John Legend all the way!

8 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

When does an album have to be released to be considered for the grammys? I've been feeling that Van Hunt album since Spring '04.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger DM said...

Yeah, it does seem like the Van Hunt joint has been out for a long while. I know I've had it since 2004. But only the single is nominated, so maybe that song was released in 2005, I don't know.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

maybe it goes by when they hit the charts. Perhaps?

How are those headaches?

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous belladawn said...

y does everybody have such qualms about givin mariah her p's! if no 1 knew the emancipation was a mariah album, everyone would b talkin about how brilliant the album is! the emacipation is thoroughly a great r&b album, even if people consider mariah a pop artist...

how come no tp-3 reloaded, but van hunt is there? no disrespect, but i dont get the time frame either

i think beyonce & luther will win the collabo..

also the rap collabo, jay z & linkin park.. this time next year it will be all southern artists n this category, we should get ready 4 that..

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Alarm car sparkrite sr90 neurontin retractable awning Congestive heart failure medication Credit what payments improve credit score Automatic garage gate design Gmc pontiac schaumburg gangbang Bentley outfitters 1989 porsche 911 turbo look lansing call centers

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! virtual interior home design norwegan fjord cruise Plain laptops

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. charleston southern soccer Swinging chair in movie mature gallery online credit report Sacramento laser tattoo removal

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home