Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Freedom to Suck

Shout outs to my boy Dan for coming in 2nd place at the Black Pearl Poetry Slam last night. He was spittin’ that hot poetic fire! I was impressed (not that he has to impress me or anything). But all his work on his book of short stories and now his book of poetry is coming to fruition, so The Pink Ghetto is rather proud.

Can’t forget Rare whose mix of sultry, melancholy and rage ignited the stage and pushed her into first place. Will came in third place and was doing his thing…a poem about the media and their exploitation of Black entertainment. He was on point and telling the truth.

Taalam Acey was a dynamic poet, whose passion was raw as he spilled his guts on the stage. Ed Mabrey says this guy travels more than the Harlem Globetrotters (on and off the court) so check out his website and make sure you peep him if he comes to your town.

My boy Tone was in the building, strumming my pain with his fingers. I’ll be rooting for him at The Art tonight (more on that later). And of course, I kicked it hard with my girl Jessica. Luckily I could afford to eat those fries we ordered because I worked out before coming out. Shout outs to Ed Mabrey for putting on another great night of poetry!

After the poetry victory, Dan and I went to the Scarlet and Gray Café on OSU’s campus to get another drink and check out a “Hip Hop” night. Well, there were rappers and singers…and they were serious. But not that good. Which was fine with me, the crowd loved them and one of the White guys actually sounded like Mos Def (let the liquor tell it). What I was more fascinated with was how much more free White people are in situations like these than Black people are. Let me explain.

Scarlet and Gray is a campus bar, pretty small, everyone there seemed to know each other. The rapping was pretty bad, which like I said, was fine because the crowd liked it. I wasn’t exactly expecting the reincarnate if Rakim in that bitch anyways. But these people had absolutely no fear when it came to displaying their mediocre skills. Their tracks weren’t even on que. Maybe it was a comfort thing…but I think White people have the freedom to suck at things more than Blacks.

An example would be Showtime at the Apollo, you know, that show that comes on after you get home from the club and the afterparty on Saturday mornings? Well, people are on there, displaying what they consider their talent. And the best part of the show is when they get booed. Do White people have forums like that? I know they have phrases like “awesomely bad”, which mean something sucks, but they appreciate it for sucking.

Anyways, had a ball last night and I’m looking forward to kicking it hard tonight. Make sure you duck your head in The Art this evening (Tivo American Idol, okay?), beginning at 9 p.m. at Long Street Live. Some of your friends will be performing, I’m sure. Of course I’ll bring the pics and the goods tomorrow.

Mood: A little sleepy, a little jittery (had some regular, undecaffeinated, tea)

Hair: Is too big! Twists, here I come!

Song For Today: MJB tha MVP by Mary J. Blige. An awesomely bad song, to me!

6 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

what was that photo all about?!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger DM said...

That's the Sandman from Apollo...you are from NY, you know that, right?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

Yeah, but I think I opted for reruns of Xena Princess Warrior instead. And now, I don't watch tv anymore.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous belladawn said...

4 some reason i thought the sandman was flavor flav...?

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home