Thursday, March 23, 2006

Expectations

I’ve been kind of conflicted lately about The Pink Ghetto. Only because it takes up so much of my time and energy, and like many other bloggers have realized, you start to write more for audience response and less for whatever reason you started. I started The Pink Ghetto because I couldn’t get a gig anywhere else. Because I am a writer, covering urban culture in Columbus and no publication wanted to be abreast to what was going on. So on weekends I started scouring the streets, looking to appealing events to keep people interested in my site. Because where else were you going to get urban culture plus the commentary.

And of course stuff got personal. And I have always been cool with the level of intimacy I share with the readers. At times, I scrap whole posts because I feel like I reveal too much. I’m not anonymous by any means. I don’t want to be Wendy Williams. But I want ya’ll to feel me.

I got an email the other day from an anonymous someone that said he was going to stop reading The Pink Ghetto because it was too feminine. And I was male-bashing and talking about aerobics and all other stuff he wasn’t interested in. Well…

I am a womanist. I am interested in womanly things…sometimes in individual men. But not masculinity in general. Coming from a line of women who have been oppressed racially and sexually, I have concerned myself with men long enough. So yeah, The Pink Ghetto probably relates to women more than men.

Back to my conflict: I think this site is becoming more of what I think you will get a response out of and less of what it was designed to do. I’m a Cancer. I draw back into my shell. Even my friends have noticed I’ve been a little more reserved. It’s because shit ain’t rubbing me the right way. People, places, ideas. And instead of trying to do what people want me to do, I’m following my intuition and doing me. So if you get the impression I no longer like you, you are right. If I haven’t been showing up at your spot that means your shit is wack to me. If I don’t respond to your emails and calls, then I don’t want to talk to you. I know, this is all reverse of PR…but it’s real.

So The Pink Ghetto is feminine because it’s pink, but it’s real, that’s why it’s ghetto. I don’t know what you can expect from me in the future. Shit might stay the same…it might be totally different. But the real Donna isn’t for everybody…and this site will now reflect that.

9 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous dyoung said...

yeah, i went through something similiar recently, wondering where might site was headed and whether or not i was still just writing for me. i think the solution lies in doing exactly what you want to. if you want to write for yourself, fine. if you want to write for the audience, fine...as long as youre using your site for what you want to do with it, there shouldnt be a problem...and the readers should understand that

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous jamila said...

I feel I was a blogger for a while but it got to the point where I didnt want to share anymore.. And Im no where near the writer you are. Well I just want to say that I do read your blog and whichever way you decide to take it I will read!!! And forget what that dude said he's WHACK!!!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Slow Metamorphosis said...

ok ok...thats whats up. I hope we get to see both the pink and the ghetto side of you. Thats whats up. On a side note...you aint iggin me are you? lol

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger BBB_0202020 said...

I see your dilemma and hope that you keep on blogging, i like listening to what you have 2 say.

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Scott Woods said...

Hey sis, it was good to rap to you today. We REALLY need to make that more commonplace.

To wit: I realized that, while trying to send you some info, that I had the old Post email. Ugh! SO hit me up backchannel and I'll shoot you the info.

sewoods1@yahoo.com

Mad love,
Scott

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Miss P AKA Her Royal Cliqueness said...

First time visit to the blog but felt this post. Do you sis, that's all you can do.

Good luck!

-P

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

yeah, I think anonymous people are wack too. Why not just stop reading? Why did he have to send you a whole note as if that would make you change your format and what not. Whatever. I think he just wanted you to write about him. That's my new theory on anonymous people. So now I just ignore them/delete their comments.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info before and after mesotherapy patients i mortgage Digital surveillance recorders Car alarms com Biomedics 55 acuvue

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! here

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home