Thursday, March 02, 2006

Library vs. Credit: The Battle of the Cards


I’m broke, we all know that. Well, actually I’m a baller, but I must live like a broke person because I’m trying to buy a house and start a business and ultimately live life like it’s golden. And I’ve made a lot of sacrifices.

I haven’t bought any MAC lipgloss this year. Instead, I’ve been buying Loreal. Going out to eat and kicking it on a tab…forget about it. I’ve been shopping at Aldi’s instead of Meijer’s. So far everything’s been all good. But of course temptation has started to set in.

I’ve told myself I needed an iPod (well, I think Apple kind of made that decision for me). My coworkers kind of laughed at me, saying that I could get a much better brand for a better price. And I can. But there is something a lot better than cheap…free! Last year I bought my dad an iPod for his birthday…he uses it to cut the grass and show off to his friends at work. Well, he’s not going to let me borrow that, I know. But he has a cheapo 50 song holding MP3 player that he was rockin before the iPod that I will be asking to borrow this afternoon. Sure, it’s not the top of the line, but it will do for now and I can savor my $150 I save.

And that was a decision I felt really good about. Until my lust for books was aroused. Toure, Saul Williams and Kimora Lee Simmons all have books that I am itching to read. And while an investment in literature is always a good thing, I had my credit card out ready, browser tuned to Amazon.com and dammit I was ready to drop $32 on three books that I could probably read in a week. But then I started to think about my washer and dryer. And my new bedroom suite. And my medical bills. And the balance on my Macy’s charge. And I couldn’t do it. Laying right beside my Visa was my library card. So before I could even doubt myself, I went to the Columbus library web page and reserved all three books. I figure, if I like them enough to own them, I can buy them later. Whoa, that was a close one!

Reviews: Check out my Leela James review in the Columbus Dispatch. She will be opening for Kem next Wednesday at the Ohio Theater and yes your girl will be reviewing the show. Stay posted!

Clothes: Don’t fit! I have on a fly brown outfit that use to hug everything, and now my pants are falling down and my shirts drooping. That’s a good thing, right?

Song For Today: Touch by Omarion. This will be the first song I add to my MP3 player to get crunk in the gym with!

Hair: Don’t forget to get with the Protective Hair Challenge on Creamy Crack. The first day is this Friday!

9 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

I am going to need follow your lead. I am going to try and save money as well. It's going to be difficult, but I'm up for the challenge. My library card has saved me hundreds of dollars. I also ordered the new Saul Williams. Can't wait to read it.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saving money is a very difficult thing to do! Sometimes you feel like you are depriving yourself. It helps to think of your sacfrice in the long run vs. short run (spoken like a true economist, I'm finishing up Econ 201 @ OSU, wish me luck on my Final Exam).
Good luck on reaching your goals!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

Nice move with the library and the ipod. keep keepin' on.

I've decided that I can't cut anymore corners. I just need to make more money and that's that.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger DM said...

That's a good place to be also...knowing that you are doing all you can do and still need more money...so where else do you want to work?

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous belladawn said...

I'm glad u can fight ur temptation! is there support group 4 ebay addicts like me :-)
im so proud of ur skinny! keep up the good work !

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger GoddessNoir said...

Doing the budgeting thing myself. Stay strong girl, it can be sooooo hard sometimes. Congrats on the weight loss!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger notyouraverage.... said...

my sister said she's gonna buy an ipod, so i've called 'dibs'on her sony mp3 player!

i'm just getting back into reading - and need to start hitting up the library again - cause i can't afford to be buying books at $20-30 dollars a pop (i just bought the #v and vi in the Dark Tower series).

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Slow Metamorphosis said...

Good Job Girl. I went "shopping" this weekend myself. Tried stuff on and then walked out. Im trying to be good-I feel your pain!

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read http://www.nofaxcashadvance7.info/Forged-porsche-wheels.html tke bentley college Reviews fax machines fax machine Lacoste v neck sweater Black gays with huge dick bontril 105 Long term side effects effexor Www blue hawaii com zyban

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home