Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Poems!

In honor of National Poetry Month, I want to post a poem. I started out writing as a poet, and finessed my love for words into a pretty bitchin' writing career (if I should say so myself). I don't usually share my poems...for all of those reasons that poets say they don't share their poems. But I'm just feeling ultra-giving today. I just wrote this one this morning...enjoy!

Mid-April Love

Songs of summer love are anxious to resonate
But not by me
Because what I feel
Is not conjured by some drum
Not beckoned by some slow groove
It’s no long, lazy stare
With feelings high like cherry blossoms on a newly
Spring tree that grazes the sky
It’s not that high or that fluttery
No butterflies in bellies no overwhelmingly sweaty
Palms when he says my name
No preliminary games to test my faith
Just his clear eyes on my
Unaltered face
Telling me that any mask I used to hide behind
Or corset I used to stuff
Or embellishment I used to dress up
Any of the mistakes and mishaps
In my history books
Didn’t matter at all

His sincerity was sturdy like a wall
I reached to touch his honesty and felt
Like I might fall through
What I love is the feeling of calm
He evokes and the temper tantrums he
Never strokes
His love settles slow in the crevices of my
Uneasiness
He makes my queasiness
Nonexistent like saltines
His laugh is like green tea
And I cannot gulp or toss back any of the
Flavors he gives to me
Once allergic to his advances
And stuffed up by enchanted chances
Made asthmatic by what could be
Now
All I can do is breathe
All I can do is breathe

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

astonishingly good
believe I had my mind made up not to like it 'cause I'm prejudiced against love. Nice work.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girrrrl, spit that shit! You have stepped into my mind and put my life on the page. I could have dictated that to you in a dream. Like anonymous said, beautiful, simply beautiful. Love it! Thanks for sharing...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home