Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Whirlwind

Granted buying a house, starting my business, trying to lose 20 more pounds and falling in serious like with someone doesn’t lighten my daily load. Nevertheless, I’m young and I can take it. I’ll keep reporting on the goods as long as ya’ll keep reading about it. I have been very impressed by how calm I’ve been as this whirlwind has swirled around me. In the past six months, I’ve learned a couple things:

1. It’s okay to be mean to people, even when you are in PR. Especially if they deserve it. People who deserve the mean treatment: “You know the type/Loud as a motorbike/But wouldn’t bust a grape in a fruit fight.”

2. If you can’t find anything to do in Columbus, it’s because your ass don’t want to do anything. There, I said it. People are always complaining that the same people are always at the same spots, which is ridiculous in a city where so many different cultures and entertainment districts blend together. There is someone in the Brewery District, who is interesting as hell, who has never met me. Because I don’t hang out there. So, for all of those people ragging on Columbus’ entertainment and nightlife scene…you are LAME, not the city.

3. Since I have been loosed from the reality TV show demons of Tuesday and Wednesday night (ANTM and American Idol), I am able to commit two more nights a week to see what’s going on in the city. I say human interaction is always more stimulating that watching TV, especially in the summer, even if it costs you $5.

4. Sometimes misunderstandings arise. Even when you are right, sometimes you just gotta let shit go.

5. I’m not a Superwoman. I’m not the kind of girl, that you can let down and think that everything’s okay. (Thanks Karyn White!)

6. I really am open to everything and attached to nothing.

7. With life being as short as it is, conflict is funny.

8. My job isn’t to make people better, it is to help people be comfortable being themselves around me.

9. But I will call an asshole when I see one.

10. Nothing against big girls with big hair, but I don’t want to be one.

11. Van Hunt wrote Being A Girl about me, even if he doesn’t know it. I was shocked by how much that song is about me when I first heard it. I haven’t heard a song more about me since Frontin by Pharrell and Jay Z.

12. I like boys who act the same around me that they do their peoples. Don’t baby me or treat me too girly. Just be yourself.

13. When to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em, except in poker…I suck at poker.

14. I like double dating with PTosh and P.A. Flex.

15. I’ve moved from having to be with a crew, from being okay with rolling by myself to preferring dolo.

16. To laugh out loud at myself. I am a funny girl!

17. My hair has a personality of its own, and like other people I need to work on letting it do what it wants to do rather than what I want it to do.

18. There are plenty of people who don’t like me. There are 10 times more who love me and I love myself. (stole that one from Beyonce!)

19. Buying a house has taught me the principles of 1 Corinthians 13 more than any one person has.

20. I love the bronzy, sweaty glow people develop in the summer time.

21. I'm a daredevil, baby!

Tonight: Open mic at Cove with the band Ministry of Groove(shout outs to Brandon and Adrian). There will be some kind of drink special, I’m sure for Happy Hour.

The rest of the week: Tons of stuff! Tomorrow will be dedicated to all of the happenings for the rest of the week.

Song For Today: Whatever by Jill Scott. “Do you want some water baby/how about some chicken wings/do you want some fish and grits/I’ll hurry and go get it” Now that some good lovin’ right there!

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

Rolling solo can be so liberating. You get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. For real.

I love that Van Hunt song 'Being a Girl'. I rock Van Hunt a few times a week.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger dusty said...

I love going out alone..I perfer it most times..you meet people more often that way.

This is such a great list you seem so self-assured.I am jealous.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

ooh, I love that song!

"boy I am only human, ha-u-u-u-u-man, this girl needs more than occasional hugs as a token of love from you to me"!

What you said about Columbus goes for just about everywhere.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger DM said...

@Miz JJ: Once I get some more money, I'm going to vacation alone. That will be so fun!

@Dusty: Ha! You should have seen me a year ago! I'm a bit cocky so the self assuredness can be a bit overwhelming at times.

@GC: Who doesn't love a good 80s ballad!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger The Stiltwalker said...

I like reading your posts. You're very insightful and real with yourself. That's good.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger ptosh said...

I HATE that song

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home