Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Miss Slip N Slide


Is anybody yearning for a summer vacation? Jeez, 16 years of school is a habit hard to break. I’m still missing those three-month lulls in the year where I could eat Popsicles, and bust my knees on my Grandma’s Slip N Slide (the grass isn’t that lush in the hood) at any time of the day. It never gets late in the summer, regardless of what time you wake up. I remember waking up at noon on summer breaks, and still being able to play outside until past 9p.m. But alas adulthood settles in…you know that feeling you sucked your teeth at as a teenager, wishing you would be. I remember having long talks with my pre-adolescent friends about what we would do, when we were “grown.” Some of them included:

Going to bed when I wanted

Working multiple jobs so I wouldn’t be bored

Wearing makeup (well that part is fun)

Talking on the phone to the boy I was scared to talk on the phone to all night, whenever I wanted

Dying my hair

Red nail polish

Now that the feat is accomplished, mindless routine of adulthood is getting to me. Those never-ending days are now limited to getting in at least six hours of sleep for functionality at work the next day. I want a Popsicle. I want bruised Slip N Slide knees again. I want dandelion fuzz all in my hair. I want mudpies from lilacs and mosquito bites from being outside way too late and being way too sweaty. I don’t have to be that old school. I’d be happy with riding around with PTosh, listening to The Boy Is Mine by Brandy and Monica after happy hour at Applebee’s. I’d be happy with an afternoon perusing High Street, spending an hour in Singing Dog, and ending somewhere around the Pita Pit. But I can’t tell that to AEP, AT&T and Insight Communications. So I’ll keep my nostalgic ass at work.

CD Reviews: Check out my Avant review…this CD was alright.

Look Out For: My birthday celebration(s) are gonna be off the hook! Look out for the invites!

Question of the Day: What do you miss most from your summers as a kid?

Miss me? I’ve been posting more on The Pink Ghetto at MySpace.

6 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger GC (God's Child) said...

I've never been on a slip 'n slide and the bruised knees don't sound inviting but I agree with you about summer. I'm thinking about all the fun I want to have and we're already 1 day into summer so I better hurry up! So what AT&T want their money, there's lots of fun we can have for free!
Can you say Fire Hydrant?!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many memories...NYSP, bball all day, racin bikes, djin at the welcome back parties at KState...but I wasn't a kid 4 that...or was I?
-Diggz

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you can still do all that right. All you have to do is marry a rich man.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger The Stiltwalker said...

playing "hunch" in my neighbors basement with all the boys.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

I use to run through the sprinkler. My dad played cricket so I spent a lot of time at the cricket part playing with my friends. After a long day I'd get McDonalds. Ahhh...the good old days.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunchin ALL the boys?!?!? I wish I knew u back in the day...lol...joking.



Unless u really goin do it!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home